[RANKING] Removing the DECAY

anubis88

[RANKING] Removing the DECAY

Post by anubis88 »

Hello,

First of all, english is not my mother tongue, so I apologize.

This suggestion is about removing the weekly decay from the ranking. As any ranker should know, every week you loose 20% of your ranking points, the result is an overtime derank if you do not do any PVP. The decay makes pvp ranking way harder, of course, and forces players to make all their ranking in a row, a break would mean a derank, and all former efforts wasted.

Blizzard ended up removing it from their Classic Era servers, because they considered the pvp/pve race on the servers was over. Those server are, like solocraft, supposed to last several years after all the patches/progress are out.

Currently, grinding to high ranks and particulary rank 14 requires months of pvp, because only the person who stands 1rst of his faction really progress each week, and standing first is harder than ever on Solocraft.

The Alterac valley patch was a great fix, earlier the bots ended up turtleing each others too often and Alterac was a real pain to win, especially for Alliance. Now AV works really well. But this fix had a consequence : standardize the honor gain of every players. Before this patch, you needed a good gear to be very efficient on the honor gain, because the best way was to kill many bots in warsong or arathi. Now, anyone can win AV in 20 minutes, full t3 or naked it does not matter because the bots do all the job. You can even let the bots play by their own and they will end up winning in 25-30 minutes. I do not complain about it, I just tell how it is :)
More people can rank with less investment, since the bots do 95% of the job in AV, when you needed to be way more active when ranking with warsong and arathi. So people now do 500k honor a week to stand 1rst instead of 150k earlier. The consequence is that the amount of honor needed to rank is impossible to reach if you have a job and/or a family because anyone with a large amount of /playing per week can get a lot of honor with a very little focusing investment. I'm pretty sure there would be way less rankers if we had not Alterac Valley out.

I think removing the decay would allow people to rank (even slowly) and being able to give up ranking for a few weeks when there is too many rankers spaming alterac all day long. If I sum up, removing decay would allow to go for rank 14 even if you are not unemployed and despite cheaters (like the guy who bot-ranked with 7 accounts, and got all 7 first spots for a week or two before getting banned and then still ruined horde ranking for one or two weeks).

I'm sorry if my explanations are confusing sometimes, I'm very tired when I write this post, and I just skiped some arguments when I could not explain clearly enough.

Hope you guys share my point of view, thank you for reading, see you in game, and thank you Solo for this great server.
Rekojet

Re: [RANKING] Removing the DECAY

Post by Rekojet »

Hello,

I fully support this suggestion.

I went up to rank 13 last year but didn't manage to keep standing 1 four weeks in a row to reach rank 14.

The honor amount to grind each week went up from 100-200k to over 500k. Even if I enjoy the pvp on the server this is just too much.

Imo, a fair compromise to remove decay would be to reduce honor gains. This way, ranking would still require some serious grind but will no longer be so punishing.
herbemoji

Post by herbemoji »

+1, server is about fun. Game is about grinding. We still have to grind a *bit* to get the gear we want, but nothing like PVP.

I've seen a lot of people in chat be put off when they're told just how much PVP they'd have to do, and for how long, to get the gear they want.
Damageinc

Post by Damageinc »

Not supporting this idea for a couple of reasons. First, this would be unfair to people who have already grinded very hard to achieve R14. Second, after removing the decay, ranking up will be way too easy. Last reason would be in the past, things are modified so it can be soloable, but this obviously is not something that should be modified just because it is hard. The more reasonable modification would be to decrease the decay %. Removing it completely seems absurd.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I also don't support this suggestion. It should strongly remain blizzlike since PvP (titles) are one of the reasons of classic to keep playing. Also several players already hit r14 and it should be disrespectful to remove decay just like that since you don't have time to play lol. I really hope they won't make any changes regarding this. Don't be mad at me these are just facts.
anubis88

Post by anubis88 »

Damageinc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:29 pm Not supporting this idea for a couple of reasons. First, this would be unfair to people who have already grinded very hard to achieve R14. Second, after removing the decay, ranking up will be way too easy. Last reason would be in the past, things are modified so it can be soloable, but this obviously is not something that should be modified just because it is hard. The more reasonable modification would be to decrease the decay %. Removing it completely seems absurd.
After discussing it with other players, it seems that reducing it to 10% would be a good solution.

About former rankers, they did not rank into the same meta that we have now (I ranked 3 times on the old meta). The patch of alterac valley (full 60 / bots playing objectives "smartly") resulted in ranking being easy for everyone with nothing else needed than being 60. Almost all rankers now just spam alterac (whatever what bg week-end it is) and do hundreds of thousands honor points, even at rank 3-6.
I needed to do 533k honor last week to stand first. Last summer, 200k almost garanteed you to stand first. Now with this amount you would stand 4th or 5th, meaning you almost do not progress at all after rank 10. That plus the removing of the deserter debuff that just allow to leave any AV that is turtled, so there is not any punishment for this battleground.
Bear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 pm I also don't support this suggestion. It should strongly remain blizzlike since PvP (titles) are one of the reasons of classic to keep playing. Also several players already hit r14 and it should be disrespectful to remove decay just like that since you don't have time to play lol. I really hope they won't make any changes regarding this. Don't be mad at me these are just facts.
Are you still playing on the server ? Can you compare former ranking with the current one ? You look like you have not played Solocraft for a while.
Opek

Post by Opek »

Bear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 pm I also don't support this suggestion. It should strongly remain blizzlike since PvP (titles) are one of the reasons of classic to keep playing. Also several players already hit r14 and it should be disrespectful to remove decay just like that since you don't have time to play lol. I really hope they won't make any changes regarding this. Don't be mad at me these are just facts.
This is complete nonsense.. All of us who have done the r14 grind on solocraft have quit because of the burnout. Me, Sarotti. Poor Akanju.. dozens of other people after i quit. Several major changes to bot pathing and bg queing have been made. Everything you just said about it being disrespectful is completely irrelevant. The state of ranking on the server has changed so much it doesnt even matter what people who ranked previously think. Whats actually disrespectful is people afking out of bgs and not finishing them after the 5 months of work i did to even make it possible for the casual player to finish an AV. 500k honor and less than 1000hks you know you guys are cheesing.. dont talk about being disrespectful...
Opek

Post by Opek »

Damageinc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:29 pm The more reasonable modification would be to decrease the decay %. Removing it completely seems absurd.
Removing it would require changing the way the pvp system works entirely and wouldnt be viable.. or reasonable. thats a completely valid statement. But theres no reason anyone should have to do a 16 week grind by themselves in anything.. its just unnecessary and we all know it. I battled with the first r14 on solocraft for 10 weeks. Both of us quit.. Neither of us would be upset about a decay change..
Bear

Post by Bear »

Opek wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:22 am
This is complete nonsense.. All of us who have done the r14 grind on solocraft have quit because of the burnout. Me, Sarotti. Poor Akanju.. dozens of other people after i quit. Several major changes to bot pathing and bg queing have been made. Everything you just said about it being disrespectful is completely irrelevant. The state of ranking on the server has changed so much it doesnt even matter what people who ranked previously think. Whats actually disrespectful is people afking out of bgs and not finishing them after the 5 months of work i did to even make it possible for the casual player to finish an AV. 500k honor and less than 1000hks you know you guys are cheesing.. dont talk about being disrespectful...
Wtf are you shitting about dude? Sarotti and akanju are still playing, looks like you are the only one who quit. Also thats how games work ppl join, complete their goal and quit after some time.. The pvp must remain original and not changed since an exploiter like you wants it. You are clearly stupid. I do remember your title was reset due exploiting in AV and now you come here and start talk shit and lies? Go back the the cave you were instead of trash talking about this awesome server
Opek

Post by Opek »

You dont even know what youre talking about. my PvP title was reset because of wpvp against bots. its the reason bots dont reward honor in the world anymore. My rank was the most watched out of anybody, Ive made countless helpful changes to pvp system. im the reason r14 is even available on the server, reported dozens of people. If you think i was exploiting av youre insane. I have every av i played recorded...