Client Won't run?

Doobz

Client Won't run?

Post by Doobz »

So...

I can't for the life of me get the client to launch. I'm running Windows 10.

Here's what I've tried so far.

I have downloaded and unzipped the client from 2 mirrors.
I have tried to launch the client in numerous compatability modes.
I have removed all traces of previous wow installations including retail and the battle.net launcher. Including a registry clean to remove all traces.
I have tried using the -d3d11 switch to see if thats glitching it preventing it from running.

I don't think this is to do with the client itself as I have tried other clients that are version 1.12.1. None of them work leading me to beleive it may be an issue with my system.

I tried updating my drivers for my GPU and others, checked the clients file structure just to be sure it's nothing to do with that. I'm so far at a total loss. I've followed several guides that recommend halting processes that are not needed etc. My system specs are more than enough to run the game normally.

If anyone has any further suggestions I'm all ears as this is driving me nuts now!

Thanks in advance.
Midas

Re: Client Won't run?

Post by Midas »

Hello

Are you getting any type of error/message, when you click on the game to launch?
Doobz

Post by Doobz »

Midas wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:09 am Hello

Are you getting any type of error/message, when you click on the game to launch?
That's the unusual thing. There are no errors of any kind. I get the litle blue cirlce on my mouse pointer to indicate something is going on for about 3 seconds and then nothing.

I even ran the task manager to see if it was somehow running in the background and theres no wow.exe process.
I had it open again and tried to double click it several times, for like half a second wer is running (windows error reporting tool) but it immediately closes. I can't find logs for wer. I also checked wows own error logs, nothing in there either.

Also after the attempt to run I looked in the WTF folder as a cfg file should have been created. But nothings been created there either.

It's a complete mystery. It's almost as if I never ran it. I'm at a total loss.
Midas

Post by Midas »

Please right click on the WoW.exe and try running it as administrator
Doobz

Post by Doobz »

Midas wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:07 pm Please right click on the WoW.exe and try running it as administrator
Tried that too and every other combination.
Solo
Site Admin

Post by Solo »

Could it be your antivirus blocking it? Did you try disable it?
Doobz

Post by Doobz »

Solo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:35 pm Could it be your antivirus blocking it? Did you try disable it?
Don't have any besides Windows Security, don't really need it on this rig. Not sure how easy it is to disable, I could try it but not gonna hold my breath.
Doobz

Post by Doobz »

Doobz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:12 pm
Solo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:35 pm Could it be your antivirus blocking it? Did you try disable it?
Don't have any besides Windows Security, don't really need it on this rig. Not sure how easy it is to disable, I could try it but not gonna hold my breath.
As suspected. Disabled it and it still won't run.
Doobz

Post by Doobz »

Doobz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:21 am
Doobz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:12 pm
As suspected. Disabled it and it still won't run.
So. I fixed it. I had to do a complete reinstall of my entire OS to resolve it.